A boy in a wheelchair holding his laptop

Maine Connections Academy Online School Enrollment Checklist for the 2021-22?School Year

Thank you for considering Maine Connections Academy for your child's education. Many families have found our online school program to be a better fit for their students. The information on this page will help you prepare for enrollment.

Get Prepared icon

Get Prepared for Enrollment

Do you have everything you need to sign up for online school? Because Connections Academy is a public school, parents must submit state-required information and documentation for each student. You will save time and enrollment will go more smoothly if you are prepared!

Use the Enrollment Checklist below to gather the documents you will need to start online school. The checklist lists your state's requirements, plus tips to help you find documents you may not have. Once you have your documents ready, it’s easy to create an account and complete the enrollment forms in Connexus?, our online system.

Students who are currently suspended or expelled from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.

What Documents to Have Ready

Use the checklist below for 7–12 virtual school enrollment in our Maine school. Please have the following documents available and ready to upload to Connexus:

Required Documents
The documents below are required for enrollment in Maine Connections Academy. Please submit or transfer information regarding the following:

Proof of age icon

Child's Proof of Age

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents:

  • Official birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Hospital certificate
  • Baptismal papers
  • Official court document with birth date
  • Official school record
Not Sure Where to Get That?

As a reminder, the age eligibility is as follows:
  • Maximum Age: Any student who turns twenty (20) years old on or before July 1 will not be eligible to enroll in Maine Connections Academy.

Proof of residence icon

Proof of Residence (1 form)

You must provide ONE acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in MCA. There are many verifiable forms of documentation, which are detailed below:

Not Sure What is Accepted as Proof?

  • A residential utility bill
    Acceptable Documents Include: gas, electric, water, sewage, cable, home phone, internet, or propane oil delivery bill from the last 60 days, in the resident's name and service address.
  • Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or current annual lease agreement
  • Property tax statement
  • Driver's license or State Issued ID
  • Vehicle registration
  • Letter from a government agency from the last 60 days
  • If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Proof of immunization icon

Child’s Proof of Immunization

All MCA students must provide evidence of the Maine state required immunizations. Under the Maine School Immunization Law, children are required to receive certain immunizations in order to attend public elementary and secondary schools. For more information about the required number of doses and the ages at which vaccines must be given, review the Guide to Immunizations Required for Grades 7–12.

  • Immunization form (found in Connexus)?completed and signed by healthcare provider
  • Healthcare provider or Health Department printout
  • Immunization booklet with all doses stamped or signed

This form may require both the parent/guardian and health care provider signature.

When Do I Need to Provide My Immunization Records?

Immunization records must be presented prior to enrolling in MCA.

Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required?

A complete list of immunization requirements is available on the Maine State Department of Health website. Many Maine medical offices and clinics can now update your child’s immunization record automatically using an electronic immunization registry, known as the Maine Immunization Registry.

Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Student?

Immunizations can be obtained from doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your student the shots they need to meet the requirements for school enrollment. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?

By law, Maine managed-care organizations (such as Kaiser Permanente and Blue Cross) must cover recommended immunizations for children. Your health plan may charge a co-payment for the shot visit. Check with your health plan or your doctor’s office about any fees.

If you don’t have health insurance, you may be able to get free immunizations through one of these programs:

  • Healthy Families. Children enrolled in Maine’s Healthy Families plan receive free immunizations with no copayment.
  • Vaccines for Children. Many private-practice Maine doctors participate in the Vaccines for Children (VFC) program, which gives free vaccine to eligible children up to age 18. Ask your child’s doctor if his or her office offers VFC shots.
Immunization Exemptions

Students may be exempt from immunization requirements if (1) their parents sign a statement indicating that such immunization is contrary to their beliefs; or (2) the parents submit a statement from a physician indicating that immunization is not considered safe for the child. An exemption may be temporary or permanent and may be for specific vaccines or all vaccines.

A student may be exempt from immunizations for medical reasons or for personal beliefs. All exemptions require a signature and date on the Statement of Exemption form, which is available in Connexus.

  • Medical Exemption: A licensed physician who feels a vaccine is not indicated for a student because of medical reasons should submit to the school (via the patient’s family as needed) a written statement documenting the medical exemption.
  • Personal or Religious Reasons Exemption: A parent or guardian may have a child exempted from required immunizations if immunization is contrary to his/her beliefs.

Important Documents

Although not required for enrollment, having the documents below ready will help our Academic Placement Services Team efficiently place your student in the appropriate classes.

Academic Records icon

Prior Academic Records

All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible for online school enrollment?and will be requested to submit academic records for placement.

  • Report Card
    For students applying for grades 7–9: Please submit a copy of the report card from the most recent school year.

    The following items should be included on the report card:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2020–21)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
  • Unofficial Transcript
    For students applying for grades 10–12: Submit an unofficial transcript that includes the complete end-of-year grades from the prior school year and any academic documentation (such as a progress report/interim report, class schedule, or marking period/semester report card) issued for the current school year. Additional documentation may be requested for placement.

    The following items should be included on the unofficial transcript:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2020–21)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
    • Credits Earned
Not Sure How to Get Your Child’s Report Card or Transcript?

  • Contact your student's previous school and request the document, providing them with the information outlined above, OR contact your school's district office with the request.

If after attempting these steps you still cannot obtain your student's report card or transcript, please contact the academic placement services team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Have Your Child(ren) Been Formerly Homeschooled?

If your children are currently homeschooled, please complete the Prior Academic History Form. This document will be available to you in Connexus.

  • Prior Academic History Form
    For homeschooled students in grades 7–12: Complete the Prior Academic History Form indicating what courses were completed through a homeschool curriculum.

Other Documents for Special Circumstances

Though not applicable to all families, please submit the documentation requested if the information below is specific to your student.

Other Documents icon

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.

  • Ready to Enroll?

    Once you have all of the required documentation (outlined above), you are ready to proceed with online school enrollment in Maine Connections Academy.

Problems or Questions?

If you have any concerns or questions about 7–12 grade enrollment in Maine Connections Academy, contact our enrollment team for additional help. Please call us at 800-382-6010.

Maine Connections Academy admits students and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected classification.